an autobiographical story.

So, after a few hours of researching, we thought we had found the perfect club. It was in the O2 Arena, an area known for its epic concerts, and it was a Saturday night, the favored night of the week by 98% of society due to it's strategic location between Friday and Sunday.

Clubs are a tricky thing.. especially in a city such as London. Sometimes they're fun, filled with dancing and flirting and the odd couple making out not-so-discreetly in the corner. Other times they're filled with the 25+ crowd (aka the 40-year-old+ businessman crowd..) and ripe with aforementioned awkward businessmen looking for a girl to make them feel like they're Hugh Hefner or something. (Ew, I know, but I'm just being honest.)

Anyways..

We had thought we found a great place. It was a little pricey and across town, but for four floors of house music, DJ's and themed nights we thought hey - that's okay. Look at all of these options, look at these cool pictures of people dancing, look at this nice interior design. All appears good on the homefront.

Ha! Ha! Ha! If only I had listened to the wise words of Thomas Jefferson.. "Never judge a club by it's website." But alas, continuing on...

As we walk off the tube, there's quite a large stream of people going both ways on the sidewalk - promising. That means people have acknowledged this as a place that exists... great. Better than arriving at some barren alleyway somewhere. So we walk into the O2, which is quite an impressive place. Much to my surprise there's MULTIPLE clubs here.. egads! What kind of magic is at play here?! As we walk past there's restaurants pumping music, different songs from different places every few steps.. music usually means FUN. So this is a good sign.. but alas. None of these were the club we were looking for.

Side note: the O2 is like as if the Mall of America was put inside of the Metrodome.. seriously. It has the white Dome top and has tons of shops and restaurants like MoA. ..Why yes, I am from Minnesota, why do you ask?

Regardless, as we're walking I can't help but notice that nobody else is walking this far down the hallway. Right before I start to get discouraged, I see these big metal barriers for queues with signs on them for the club.. which is all very professional-looking, but there's no line.

There stands a security guard and another guard of some sort. They ask "Do you know what night it is?" and I respond "No? Do you know what night it is?" After establishing that I truthfully don't know what night it is, they tell us that lots of people are dressed up in costumes.. things like police officers, nurses, things like that. After giving an awkward pity chuckle to try and escape this bizarre exchange of words we walk on through the barriers, wondering what exactly they were talking about.

At the end of the barriers we run into Adele!!! Not the actual Adele, of course, but she bore an uncanny resemblance and probably knew all the words to Rumor Has It. ...Just saying. But after Adele asked if we were on the guest list (obviously not..!?) we went through.

But wait - we aren't in the club yet. No, no. After navigating through two more sets of doors, a few flights of stairs and another set of doors, we hear the bass.. we've finally made it!

After our eyes adjust to the dark, it soon becomes apparent that everyone is, in fact, dressed in costume. We, in fact, are not. In fact, we seem to be the only two caucasians there.

Now, it's not like I've never seen people of a different race than me.. no. That's not it. It's just the fact that I've never really been smack dab in the middle of a Major Lazer video before. Some revelations were made in that moment by me:

1. Oh my god, I really am a white girl from rural Minnesota.
2. Oh my god, daggering is a real thing.
3. Oh my god, oh my god.
4. I hate being the only person not wearing  a costume.

So yeah. I mean, I don't really know how else to describe it except there was a guy robot-spazz dancing with the head of the statue of David on a podium. I also think we were the only two people who hadn't done ecstasy upon arrival to this place..yeeeeah... so. A very interesting night nonetheless, definitely the most "awkward white person" I've felt ever in my life.

Upon leaving, Adele looked at us very concerned and asked if everything was okay. I guess I need to work on more discreet facial expressions of "what the hell just happened to me/where was I/this isn't where I parked my car."

Until my next awkward life experience...
xx

Leave a Reply