celebrating halloween.

Really I'd like to title this post "Celebrating Halloween in a Country That Doesn't Really Celebrate Halloween" ..but that was a bit too long. But surely you must be curious about what it's like to be in a country that doesn't really get into Halloween (and spells it Hallowe'en ..like. Really, England? "we'en"?) but luckily you have me, Halloween enthusiast, here to tell you alll about it.

So, I fabricated a costume in legitimately 10 minutes because I had to work late on Halloween (because it was on a MONDAY this year.. what kind of sorcery is that. Pfff.) and I came up with the idea to be Cindy-Lou Who when I was riding the tube home. So I came up with this gem of a costume..

  

It actually turned out pretty awesome, I was pretty proud of myself. Now.. I know since seeing this photo you're probably saying "HOW on earth did she get her hair like that??" ..I know this because I was asked it hundreds of times by anyone who wasn't too afraid to talk to or look at me. I would probably crown it the question of the night, because seriously. Everybody. No exceptions.. Not even my roommates. Hahah. But yeah, I used a vegetable oil bottle (emptied and washed out, clearly) (but not clearly, because that would be question of the night, level 2.) and draped my long, luscious locks over it and tied it at the top. To me, it was Wacky Hair Day Fifth Grade basics.. But hey. They don't care about Halloween here, so the chances of them having Wacky Hair Days.. pfffffft. Slim to none. So anyways, moving on..


My roommates were also all dressed up.. Nicki Minaj, army chick and RyanAir flight attendant. Moments after walking outside, everyone is legitimately gaping at us. And by us, I mean mostly my hair. Going on public transport was probably the best thing we could have done because it was the most hilarious thing ever. We step on the down escalator, and the entire up escalator just turns their heads and stares. At my head. I mean, I felt like half celebrity, half Elephant Man. Even after getting on the tube and being inside the car of it, people would stop on the platforms and wait for the train to go by just so they could look.

I have realized that people just don't care if they stare shamelessly at you. People were just completely unabashed at whispering to their friend/person and then turning around and just gawking. Once we got off the tube, it was slightly better because there were more people in costumes, but 'costumes' were essentially in one of these three categories:
1. Zombie of any sort
2. Sexy ______.. Mostly something that you can put ears and a leotard on for, such as: devil, cat, animal of any sort, I don't know.
3. No costume, we don't celebrate Halloween.

So yes. That about sums up that. I got more photos taken of me/with me than I ever have before.. So to all those people with pictures of me: *winky face* *sly smile* *awkward convulsion*

(Asteriks denote me doing an action.. In case you didn't know.) (err..)

The other popular thing for people to do was to grab my hair and go "WHOA what's in there?!??" ..For future reference to guys trying to pick up a girl, that's really not the best way to go about it.. Especially since I don't really know what you'd be expecting me to say. "Oooh it's a big bottle of lube and 5 packs of condoms, and since you're the first person to ask, YOU WIN."  ...I mean, honestly. It's an empty bottle.. wooo.

My hair was a bit of a drunk person Mecca, if you will. Everyone wanted to touch it, grab it, swat it, hover their hands around it like it was a scary crystal ball.. Yeah. So basically I was the coolest person in London on Halloween. No big deal.

And that is my "Celebrating Halloween in a Country That Doesn't Really Celebrate Halloween" story. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

  

Stay tuned for my Paris post later this week..

xx

Leave a Reply