scrumming, tries and a pitch.

So the *other* thing I did in Richmond, which I didn't want to disclose in my previous post because well.. let's face it, I haven't been doing anything too terribly cool lately so I've had to make some pretend climactic event and this post is it.. But anyways. To continue, the other thing I did in Richmond was go to a rugby game!

Ah, rugby. That elusive cross between football, "football," and MMA wrestling. That sport in which the players tote around the "big giant egg." To be quite honest, I really enjoyed it and I think after I've gone to a few other games, I might be ready to call myself a *fan.* ..gasp. Anyways, rugby is completely different than "American football" and is way more physically demanding as well.
I'll outline some of the things I learned from Bill about rugby;


- No forward passing of the ball. Period. Every pass has to be backwards, and then once you have the ball in your possession you can run forward. Even when you're laying at the bottom of a pile of men, you have to pass weasel the ball out of your fetal position backwards to your teammates.

- Goal? What is "goal'? It's called a TRY. You still score points though, which is all that anyone really cares about at any rate.

- The play is continuous.. ie; once someone gets tackled, you just keep going. It goes until either a team scores a try or a foul is called. This is why it's way more demanding than American football.. You don't get to do a little quick "hut" and then stop after the person is tackled. It just keeps going, and going, and going.. But it's wonderful. They do have halftime.. it's broken into two 40-minute halves.

- What is this "field" you're referring to? It's called a PITCH.

- Scrumming! This usually happens after the ball bounces or is knocked forward (because nobody would knowingly pass forward.. duh) but basically about 5 players from each team get themselves in a nice close embrace/huddle and then, similar to reindeer or elk butting horns, they ram into eachother. The ball gets put down in the middle and the players kind of kick/shuffle it backwards towards another player who grabs it once they get it to the back of their huddle. Sounds complicated, but it isn't. Or maybe it actually is and I'm just not explaining it right..

- Did I mention that no padding is worn whatsoever?

- No padding.. These are like. Beefy. Meaty dudes. Tackling each other forcefully.. that's where the MMA comes into play. Sometimes they wear little head things to protect their ears. Compare that with the pillows that football players wear.. Pfffft.

I also know more things about rugby, so if you're interested at all I'm basically an expert after going to one game soooo... yeah.. NBD.

Anyways, hopefully some of my pictures will explain things better? Maybe?

The pitch. It was Richmond (yellow/red/black stripes) vs. Launceston (plain black)
Richmond ended up winning 38 to 15... Awww yeah.

A man laying on the ground while everyone else runs and doesn't care.

Getting their tackle on. Kind of.

They do this nice cheerleading bit when the ball is thrown in after it's been hit or kicked out of bounds.
The point is to be the tallest so you can get possession. This guy missed the ball. Cheers.

Tackling some poor soul. There is also a kicker (usually #10 or 11) who will kick the ball after scoring a try
for an additional 3 points if it goes through the goalpost.


Me and Bill (Director of the ICLC) who taught me all I know about rugby!

My attempt to capture scrumming.. Didn't reeeally work, but sort of!
Watching from the sidelines.
And tha-tha-that's all folks! (Yeah, I just typed that. My comedy tour starts next week.) For all the ladies out there, there's also some preeetty attractive guys who play rugby. If you're into that sort of thing.

Anyways, stay tuned for more cool things I do.. Maybe I'll do some impromptu scrumming with strangers and make someone document it. (No I won't, but one can always hope.)

x

Leave a Reply